“There’s mosquitoes on the river Fish are rising up like birds
It’s been hot for seven weeks now,
Too hot to even speak now, Did you hear what I just heard?”
Well maybe not yet seven weeks, but it has been many weeks now of daily temps over 90F, and with the 4th of July and Fare Thee Well concert streaming potluck dinners to attend, it’s been a time to come up with easy to make and cooling, protein rich main dish salads…
- 3/4 c quinoa
- 1 can organic black beans, well rinsed
- 2-3 medium cucumbers, thick sliced into half rounds or quarters
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 serrano pepper, diced, including seeds
- 10-12 leaves spearmint, diced
- 1 lime, squeezed for dressing
- organic nonfat yogurt or feta cheese for garnish
Rinse quinoa well, then place in 1 1/2 c fresh water with a dash of salt, bring to boil then turn heat down to simmer covered for 18-20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Rinse beans well, chop and dice all vegetables and combine all. Dress with squeezed lime, and store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to serve. Garnish with organic nonfat yogurt or feta cheese for additional protein.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 package tempeh, cubed and sauted in 2 T olive oil
- 3-4 large dark plumbs, coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch green onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- fresh mint sprigs, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and pulp
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts, as garnish immediately before serving.
instructions: Rinse quinoa very well. Bring quinoa just to a boil in 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt, then simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes until all fluid absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, allow to cool uncovered. Saute chopped tempeh, allow to cool, then add to cooked quinoa. Chop all remaining ingredients, stir all together. Dress with juice and pulp of lime. This is naturally sweet, so I served it with tofu baked in a spicy ginger peanut sauce. Or if desired, press or finely mince 2-3 slices of fresh ginger root, add to 1/8 cup olive oil for dressing. Refrigerate in air tight container.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded, lightly toasted
- green onions, small bunch, finely chopped
- 1-2 cucumbers, sliced into rounds then quartered
- 1/2- 1 fresh lime, squeezed, include juice and pulp
Rinse quinoa well. Bring to a boil in 1 1/2 cups fresh water with a pinch of salt, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 25 minutes until water absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with fork. Lightly toast almonds and coconut on stove top, stirring constantly; add to quinoa. Chop green onions and cucumbers, then stir all together well. Dress with squeezed lime juice and pulp. I served this chilled with baked tofu in a sunflower seed butter sauce and romaine salad.